Over 70 Theatre Activities for Kids Age 3-7!
Do you find it difficult to find drama activities for preschool age children?
We’re here to help. Working with very young children is a completely different experience than working with older kids. Their attention spans are shorter and they require games that are simple, short and active…but also provide them with the skills necessary to grow as an actor.
Teaching Drama to Little Ones is packed with activities that do just that. It includes 12 lesson plans specifically designed for this age group that you can implement today. It also includes guides on how to adapt a script and rehearse a show with this age group. We’ve even created a special 15-minute edition of our most popular musical We Are Monsters as an optional performance kit for your classroom!
With this eBook you’ll receive:
- 12 lessons plans packed with over 70 activities ideal for kids age 3-7
- Each lesson contains a Warm-Up, Focus, Voice, Movement and Imagination activity
- Simple reflection questions after every lesson
- A guide to creating a script for little ones
- A guide to auditioning, rehearsing and performance tips for little ones
- An appendix with lyrics of simple songs for classroom use
A note from author Jessica McCuiston:
When I first started directing children’s theatre, I found it especially challenging to teach preschoolers and kindergarteners. Existing drama activities were geared toward older performers. The songs were too difficult and scripts were way too long. So I started adapting games, editing songs, and writing my own scripts. I wanted my younger students to practice valuable theatre skills, learn to be responsible actors, and perform a real show with lines and solos. This book is filled with activities that are ideal for working with 3 to 7-year-olds. It also comes with guidelines for creating a show and even includes an optional script that you can use with your own students!
Here’s an overview of what your kids will learn:
- Lesson 1: Getting to Know You. Students will feel comfortable in a new environment, realizing that theatre class is a place where they can make new friends while learning how to sing, dance, and act.
- Lesson 2: Make Believe. Students will use their imaginations to be different characters and go on make believe adventures.
- Lesson 3: Working with a Partner. Students will build trust and gain confidence by learning to work with a partner.
- Lesson 4: Working as a Team. Students will realize that theater involves teamwork and everyone has a role with something important to contribute.
- Lesson 5: Rhythm. Students will understand rhythm, be able to clap and follow a steady beat, and practice speeding up and slowing down their voices and movements.
- Lesson 6: Energy. Students will explore how energy is necessary when performing and learn how to control and focus using that energy.
- Lesson 7: Emotions. Students will explore how we use emotions to show the audience what we are feeling.
- Lesson 8: Actions. Students will use movement to learn the basic concepts of blocking, choreography, and stage directions.
- Lesson 9: Becoming a Character. Students will become familiar with the practice of pretending to be different characters.
- Lesson 10: Using Your Voice. Students will understand why projection and diction are necessary while singing and acting.
- Lesson 11: Acting Is Reacting. Students will understand that listening and reacting are just as important as speaking.
- Lesson 12: Putting it Together. Students will learn how their newly developed acting skills fit together as they prepare for a final presentation or show.
- Creating a Show for Little Ones. Tips for creating a short show.
- Performance Tips. Tips to guide you through the performance process.
We Are Monsters Songs and Scenes Version
It’s important to have a short performance at the end of a semester of classes. It allows little ones the chance to build confidence in front of an audience, and parents are able to fill up their iPhones with cute video of their children 🙂 We’ve included in this book a few tips on how to create your own show, but if you’d rather leave the work to us we’ve created a special “little ones” edition of Beat By Beat’s most popular musical We Are Monsters. With an approximate 15-minute run time, this script has scenes and songs that are the perfect length for 3-7 year olds. You can download the We Are Monsters Songs and Scenes classroom kit as an additional purchase and have everything you need to put on the show, including a printable script, piano sheet music, vocal MP3s, accompaniment MP3s (backing tracks that the kids can perform along with) and unlimited classroom use. All for a tiny fraction of the price of the full-length show!Click here for a read-only preview of the show!
At Beat by Beat, we’re passionate about raising the bar on the quality of resources that are available for young actors…and you’ll find this book to be no exception. Over 30,000 people a month visit the Beat by Beat website, discovering tools and resources which have brought joy to teachers and creativity to young actors around the world.
You have our personal guarantee that if you aren’t completely satisfied, if you don’t love this monologue book and use it all the time, call or email us within 30 days and we’ll refund every penny immediately.