Much more than just “improv games”
With this handbook you’ll get:
- 16 detailed, full-proof lesson plans that cover the “9 rules of improv”
- Notes on how to introduce improv concepts in clear, concise language
- Over 114 improv games and activities
- Reflection and journaling exercises after each lesson
- Homework handouts and YouTube video links to deepen understanding
- Sample improv scenes to demonstrate “good” and “bad” scene work
- Sample “performance line-ups” for every age/experience level
- A troubleshooting guide to address common issues
- 23 Bonus Videos to demonstrate how games are played
A note from the author
While there are countless books and websites out there with games, many of them lack lesson-by-lesson strategies for teaching improv skills. The books that do teach skills are geared towards long form improv for adults. I wrote this book to save you the time of pouring through those books and websites! The lessons presented here are a culmination of decades of research, teaching and performing.
Similar to Teaching Drama: The Essential Handbook, the layout of this resource recreates the experience of being “in the classroom” observing an expert teacher introduce these concepts to a beginning class of students.
Whether you are a drama teacher looking to add a short form improv unit to your curriculum, an improvisor wanting to lead workshops or a general education teacher looking for new ways to incorporate creativity into your class, there is something in this book for you!
– Mel Paradis, Arts Educator & Improv Performer
What skills will my students learn?
- Teamwork and Trust. Students will demonstrate an understanding of improv and develop trust with their classmates.
- Make Associations. Students will practice making associations and discover tools to help them think quickly and creatively.
- Yes, and. Students will demonstrate the ability to accept a statement or action that they are given and add something to it.
- Listen. Students will listen to each other by observing how their classmates move and absorbing what their classmates say.
- Relate. Students will learn to internalize and connect with whatever has been communicated.
- Be honest. Students will demonstrate honesty in their creation of environments, objects and characters.
- Be in the present. Students will make strong initiations that are rooted in the present.
- Tell a story. Students will learn how to incorporate the Important Elements of Storytelling into their scenes.
- Develop Relationships. Students will explore how status affects relationships, and how it can be used to enhance a scene for comedic or dramatic effect.
- Scenework. Students will create entertaining scenes with characters who have a strong relationship, locations, a strong initiation, and a conflict.
A Resource You Can Trust
Beat by Beat Press is the leader in providing today’s best resources for theatre educators. Our website attracts over 450,000 visits a month by teachers just like you seeking high-quality materials to use in the classroom. Our materials have been used in performance spaces and classrooms in over 75 countries and translated into 5 languages. You can feel confident that the materials you receive are top-notch.
Download your copy today.
It’s always our goal to provide drama teachers the resources they need at a price they can afford.
Professional development workshops for improv training can cost thousands of dollars. Online training courses charge subscription fees of over $440/year.
Why spend that kind of money when you can download everything you need to teach improv at a tiny fraction of that cost?
Teaching Improv: The Essential Handbook (a practical guide you can start using in your class tomorrow) can be downloaded instantly for only $45.
At Beat by Beat, we’re passionate about raising the bar on the quality of resources that are available for young actors…and you’ll find this book to be no exception. Over 30,000 people a month visit the Beat by Beat website, discovering tools and resources which have brought joy to teachers and creativity to young actors around the world.
You have our personal guarantee that if you aren’t completely satisfied, if you don’t love this monologue book and use it all the time, call or email us within 30 days and we’ll refund every penny immediately.